Bouncing back from having a baby is hard. Celebrities make it seem easy. It’s even harder with the second or third baby. But you have the added drive to get healthy to play with that sweet new bundle of joy for years and years to come. I’ve partnered with Planet Fitness for this post to tell you the four getting back into shape after the baby tips that I wish someone would have shared with me. Planet Fitness’s Director of Health and FitnessBrian Zehetner, Director of Health and Fitness at Planet Fitness also shared with me his top three tips for new moms!
The four tips I wish someone would have shared with me before I started easing back into a fitness routine after I had the boys.
- Don’t rush back to your pre-baby / pre pregnancy workout. Start back slowly. This is a big comeback, your body just went through significant trauma. Slow and steady wins the race! You don’t want to have to heal from an exercise related injury while taking care of a sweet baby.
- Modify any exercises that require flexed wrists, like planks, pushups, tricep dips. Holding, feeding, and carrying a baby around can work your wrist without you noticing. You are focused on the sweet baby. To modify these exercises, you could try doing planks on your forearms, performing bench presses, and completing cable tricep extensions.
- Once you do start to ease back into your routine, remember to hydrate well, especially if you are breastfeeding. Dehydration could cause a dip in your milk supply.
- Relaxin, the hormone that is responsible for softening the ligaments and joints during pregnancy and childbirth, can stay in the body for up to six months postpartum. This can lead to wobbly, unstable joints and a loose pelvis. Be careful with your movements, and ease back into the higher intensity workouts.
Here are some additional tips from Planet Fitness’s Brian Zehetner, which are so good, especially the tip about being social with adults in the fitness classes.
- The first six weeks after pregnancy are primarily a time for healing, but you can also start to ease back into exercise. The most important thing is to find time to move. That’s it. No need to make it any more complicated than that. You don’t need to set some arbitrary deadline to achieve a particular goal. Just make some time for yourself and engage in an activity you love.
- If you find that setting aside time for yourself is a challenge, do something active with your baby. Something as simple as a walk outside could be just what the doctor ordered (literally)! There are also plenty of mommy and me classes that might be interesting to check out.
- Once you’re cleared by your physician for more rigorous exercise, you should be able to jump back into your previous workout program, albeit at a slightly lower intensity. It’s okay to work yourself back into shape gradually. And if you’re looking for a new fitness option, the small group training sessions at Planet Fitness may be the perfect fit. They’re fun, full-body workouts led by one of our certified trainers. And after using baby talk all day with the little one, you may find that hangin’ with some adults is a nice change of pace.
Planet Fitness is having a huge nationwide sale from May 1 – 12th. New members can join any Planet Fitness (there are more than 1,300 clubs!) for just $5 down (enrollment fee) and then $10 a month with no commitment. Mother’s Day is May 14th. I would never suggest that you buy this as a mother’s day present for your significant other because new moms are sensitive. I would however suggest, you buy this for yourself! You deserve it. Planet Fitness has this wonderful Judgement Free Zone® that makes everyone feel comfortable.
Other awesome Planet Fitness Benefits –
- Planet Fitness focuses on general fitness and caters to “everyday people” – first time or occasional gym users versus fitness fanatics or body builders.
- Many clubs are open and staffed 24/7.
- All clubs have spacious locker rooms and friendly staff.
- Unlimited small-group fitness training is included in all memberships.
- There are more than 1,300 locations in 48 states– to find a club near you, visit: http://planetfitness.com/local-clubs.
- Planet Fitness has revolutionized the fitness industry with extremely low prices and offers a variety of benefits including a hassle-free environment called the Judgement Free Zone®, brand name cardio and strength equipment, fully equipped locker rooms, flat screen televisions, unlimited small group fitness instruction by a certified trainer through the pe @ pf® program, and much more.
- Planet Fitness also provides members with an opportunity to connect and support each other with “Planet of Triumphs,” an online community that celebrates all accomplishments and inspirational stories of Planet Fitness members. Planet of Triumphs provides an online platform for members to recognize their triumphs (big or small), share their stories and encourage others, reinforcing the Company’s belief that ‘everyone belongs.’
The first day is the hardest, now lace up your sneakers grab your water bottle and I’ll meet you at the gym!
Thank you Planet Fitness for this fun partnership!
Disclaimer: The content provided by Planet Fitness is designed for educational purposes only. You should not rely on this information as a substitute for, nor does it replace, professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. You should consult your physician or other health care professional before following any fitness advice to determine if it is right for your needs.