“Never confuse a single defeat with a final defeat.”F. Scott Fitzgerald
What To Eat While You Are Trying To Conceive?
Some of y’all followed me on Instagram before I started mom blogging and I spoke about the difficulty we had when trying to have the boys. So I definitely spent so much time googling “trying to conceive” tips. What I learned from all of the experts and articles is that ultimately you just need to be as healthy as possible. Eat well, sleep well, drink water, exercise and manage your stress. That’s it? Weird right? We struggled for 9 years to have the boys and I thought I was following all of the healthy guidelines.
Trying to conceive a healthy child is love. Healthy conceiving for starting a family is additionally about the health of the body and fertility. Many parents question themselves and google about what they can put together to improve fertility when trying to conceive.
There are many necessary foods and lifestyle changes inclusion is required to improve fertility. Fortunately, these foods are easy to find in the grocery stores. Some lifestyle changes are necessary as well, but nothing that difficult.
But during all of my fertility research, I did find quite a few foods often mentioned that are considered for healthy conceiving for starting a family.
Add these Fertility Foods to your diet right away
- Leafy Greens
- Greek Yogurt
- Quinoa and healthy grains
- Full Fat Dairy and Cheese
- Peanut Butter
Foods for healthy conceiving
- Sunflower Seeds for Mom and Dad (Vitamin E) – Vitamin E is an important nutrient that makes sperm motility stronger. If the sperm motility is not stronger than sperms die before reaching the female egg. This is why it is a vital nutrient to improve fertility. And, sunflower seeds are rich in this vital nutrient. Roasted, but unsalted, sunflower seeds would not only improve the availability of Vitamin E in your body but also, increase the levels of Folate and Selenium. These two nutrients are equally valuable when you are trying to conceive. Additionally, fatty acids like Omega-6 and Omega-3 are well-known nutrients to boost the fertility of both men and women. So, adding sunflower seeds in your diet as a snack, or sprinkling it on the salad is an easy way to improve fertility.
- Citrus fruits for Mom and Dad (Vitamin C) – Oranges, lemons, limes, etc. are considered citrus fruits. And, these fruits are easily available. These fruits are jam-packed with Vitamin C. A key nutrient for building immunity. An optimal level of immunity simply means you are more apt for healthy conceiving. You can eat these fruits raw if you like tanginess. Alternatively, you can enjoy them in the evening by making orange juice. The lemon juice and lime juice can be added in lukewarm water in the morning. It would make it easier when you are trying to conceive a healthy baby.
- Tomatoes for Mom(Antioxidants) – It is an established fact that tomatoes are an abundant source of Lycopene. An essential antioxidant for the body. However, you can undoubtedly find lycopene supplements in nearby pharmacies. But naturally occurring, and unprocessed lycopene must remain your target when you are all devoted to the health of your future child. Homemade tomato soups, stews, sauces would boost antioxidant content in your body. Also, you can bake them with a sprinkle of grounded black peppercorns and/or some lemon juice. Antioxidants are vital when you feel ready about starting a family. They help children to grow healthier and; with stronger immunity only when the parent’s body can supply an optimal number of antioxidants to the fetus.
- Salmon for Mom (healthy fats) – Salmon is considered the healthiest fish for human consumption. Look for wild salmon. It is rich in fatty acids that help in regulating hormones of the reproductive system. Plus, it could increase the blood flow towards the reproductive system’s organs which results in healthy conceiving.
- Beans and lentils For Mom and Dad –Beans and lentils can be cooked in many delicious simple ways. The beans and lentils not only contain crucial nutrients but also they are rich in dietary fiber. Fiber is not only beneficial for gut health but also helps in maintaining hormonal levels. It contains Polyamine Spermidine which helps sperm to successfully fertilize the female egg. The high protein content of lentils and beans helps in healthier ovulation which is essential when you are trying to be pregnant to start a family. The protein from red meat and chicken is considered a leading cause of infertility due to an-ovulation. Whereas, protein from lentils and beans are considered relatively safe sources of protein for healthy conceiving.
- Superfood for fertility (oysters) – The list of foods that are fruitful when trying to conceive is incomplete without superfoods ‘Oysters’. A single serving of six oysters contains barely 140 calories yet they contain all the crucial minerals and vitamins for healthy conceiving. The four most important nutrients from oysters to improve fertility are Vitamin B-12, and minerals like zinc, selenium, and iron. It is the healthiest choice for anyone trying to be pregnant for starting a family. The most preferable way to consume oysters is raw but you can bake them also. Baked oysters do not lose their nutritive properties.
- Eggs with yolk – Ignore most of the cholesterol warnings (unless they are from your doctor). The level of cholesterol is so less that your body can easily deal with it. Instead, the yolk contains all of the egg’s vitamins and minerals that are unavailable in the white part. For example, the yolk is rich in zinc, calcium, vitamin B-6, folate, etc. Additionally, they also contain 100% of egg’s vitamin A. Moreover, they are rich in EPA and DHA which is essential for the development of the brain of a fetus. Nevertheless, it also contains a rarely available vitamin K2 that is a fertility booster.
- Avoid Packed Processed Foods and Trans Fats (Mom, Dad, Grandma, Grandpa, Everyone) – We are living in an age when every kind of food is available in a compact package. And, we merely need to warm these foods in an oven. But, these packaged foods are loaded with Trans fats, preservatives, and an excess amount of sugar and salt. Nevertheless, you can always search online for recipes of your favorite foods and satiate your gestational desires. Because these extra ingredients with packaged foods and fast-foods not only damage your body additionally they may cause many fertility issues. As well as, fast-food ingredients may also compromise the health of the fetus. Consequently, it is preferable to exclude them entirely.
These foods can be accompanied with some lifestyle changes to increase their efficacy. Let us take a look at a few necessary changes.
Suggested Lifestyle when trying to conceive
- Exercising regularly would support the body in absorbing all the essential nutrients. And, the proper flow of blood to the reproductive system would increase the probability of healthy conceiving.
- STOP SMOKING IMMEDIATELY, everyone.
- It is essential to lower your caffeine, fast foods, alcoholic beverages, and soft drink intake to give birth to a mature and healthy baby.
- Take some time off from electrical gadgets for healthy conceiving. The radio waves from gadgets could be bad for the fetus as well as the reproductive system. Who knows with all of the weird research going on, better to be safe than sorry? Instead, read some good books, after the baby is born your reading time is over.
- Develop a habit to go closer to nature whenever possible. You can choose to go to gardens and walk on green grasses, sit under a tree, etc. It would improve the chances of healthy conceiving.
- Take a multi-vitamin. I’ve even heard of many women taking prenatal vitamins before getting pregnant. Something about the gummy vitamins made me take them daily.
“You may have to fight a battle more than once to win it.”Margaret Thatcher
The foods above will help your reproductive system as well as benefit the fetus. Only a few mentioned lifestyle changes along with the foods list may yield miraculous results when you are trying to conceive. Honestly, I think Matt stopping smoking helped us the most.
Good Luck you guys. We had actually given up on having the boys, when we got pregnant. I believe in hope. Please take it easy on yourself. Enjoy each other. Seek medical help. Talk to friends. My DMs are always open.