“The best thing to hold onto in life is each other.”Audrey Hepburn
2020 y’all. It’s funk is spilling onto everything, including relationships. We can’t take romantic long weekends or even share a popcorn at the movie theater. We are just home all the time.
I crowdsourced some fun ways to add more romance into our everyday. I thought I would share them with y’all. I hope you use a few of these!
Oh and my Midwestern readers, Sweetest Day is October 16th in 2021. My sweetheart is from Ohio, so I get to celebrate too. It’s totally a made up holiday that Ohio people use to show their loved ones extra attention – but I love it. Happy Sweetest Day Friends! Some silly sweet couples gift ideas for Sweetest Day here.
50 Ways to Be More Romantic
These ideas can help you stay connected to your sweetheart, or they may help you reconnect and create that spark again:
1. Write a love letter. Mail it.
2. Hold hands when you’re walking.
3. Watch a romantic movie together. Some classic examples are The Notebook, Titanic, Legends of the Fall, Pearl Harbor, and Armageddon.
4. Place a single flower under the windshield of your partner’s car.
5. Always wrap your partner’s gifts. Buy extra special paper. Buy a beautiful bow. Take the time to make it look gorgeous. If you aren’t good at this, have someone else do it for you.
6. Accompany each other to doctors’ appointments. This can give you a little extra time together, and if something major comes up, you are there for the needed support.
7. Listen! Really listen. Listen to the message behind the words.
8. Don’t interrupt each other. Let the other person finish before you speak.
9. Create a memories box. Save movie stubs, seashells from vacations, maps from road trips. Make a collage for your anniversary each year of the things you did that year.
10. Kiss. A lot.
11. Plan and daydream a second (or third) honeymoon. Why should newlyweds be the only ones who get to enjoy these?
12. Make out as you used to in high school.
13. Draw funny faces on the eggs in the fridge. Or write little love messages on the eggs in the fridge. Bananas too.
14. Write notes and leave them in places where your partner will find them throughout the day.
15. Put love notes in your partner’s lunch box or suitcase. Or put your picture with a love note attached in your partner’s suitcase if he is leaving town for a few days.
16. Flirt with your partner at a party as if you were both still single.
17. Create a playlist or go classic and do a “mix CD” of love songs.
18. Learn how to say, “I love you,” in a different language.
19. If you’re going out of town, tape your picture to your pillow.
20. Text each other when you are away.
21. Get busy. Spontaneous busy.
22. Go on a picnic together in your favorite park or beach with just the two of you.
23. Never give gift certificates. Take the time to pick out a thoughtful gift for your partner.
24. Wear outfits that match in subtle ways. (haha but please tag me if you do this please)
25. Don’t just buy your partner flowers. Buy your partner’s favorite flowers.
26. Go on a walk together.
27. Cuddle on the couch, under a blanket, without the television on.
28. Lie on the grass and watch the clouds together.
29. Fill the cookie jar with love notes.
30. Stay at a local bed and breakfast.
31. Blindfold your partner. Drive her around town until she’s totally lost. Take her on a hike with her favorite takeout.
32. Cook a meal together.
33. Ride a bicycle built for two. Again, I need photo evidence if you do this.
34. Go canoeing for the day. Take a picnic lunch.
35. Go skinny dipping in a secluded location. Please don’t send me photos of this.
36. Dance. Dance at home, dance at weddings, dance more often. Just dance together.
37. Make love in your backyard in the middle of the night.
38. Whisper romantic or inside jokes in his ear when you are out on the town for the night together.
39. Call your partner and formally ask her for a date on Saturday. Do this on the Wednesday before.
40. Don’t hassle your partner during “the game” or her “favorite show.” Let your partner have some downtime.
41. Visit a playground. Swing together.
42. Make your partner his favorite dessert as a surprise.
43. Visit a coffeehouse together for an evening and sit, drink coffee or tea, and talk.
44. Be flexible.
45. Take a wine tasting class together, there are online classes right now.
46. Create a special mixed drink together and name it after your partner.
47. Give your wife a gift on your kids’ birthdays!
48. Spend 10 minutes in bed talking before you get up for the day.
49. Write a toast to use whenever the two of you drink wine together.
50. Give unasked for gifts. They are the most appreciated.
Every relationship takes work. When people get busy, being romantic is especially difficult. However, there are many things you can do that take very little time. Having more romance in your relationship will make your partner feel more appreciated and make your relationship more fun. Hopefully, these ideas will help you! Love is everything.