Orange is the happiest color. Frank Sinatra
I totally agree with Frank. Everyone I know was super excited for apple picking season, but I’m over here not so patiently anticipating citrus season. When I was a kid, (maybe they still do this) the 4H kids sold boxes of Naval oranges right before Christmas time. These were the sweetest most amazing oranges, you know the ones with super thick orange peels that came off super easily.
But now I’m in love with so many varieties of oranges. Naval, Blood, Seville, Clementine, Tangerine, Hamlin, I’m here for all of them. I’m actually adding a clementine to my salad tonight.
Oranges are not only wonderful sunshine in your mouth, but they are full of health benefits. Oranges are a healthy source of fiber, vitamin C, thiamine, folate, and antioxidants. Healthline has a huge rundown of the health benefits of oranges, but I summarized them up here.
The Health Benefits of Oranges
- Oranges are made up of healthy carbs and water. They’re also a good source of fiber, which may support digestive health.
- Oranges are an excellent source of vitamin C. One large orange provides over 100% of the RDI
- Oranges are full of Thiamine. One of the B vitamins, also called vitamin B1.
- Oranges are a good source of potassium. High intake of potassium can lower blood pressure in people who already have high levels and may reduce your risk of heart disease
- Oranges are a rich source of several plant compounds and antioxidants that are responsible for many of their health benefits.
- Flavonoids in oranges may have protective effects against heart disease
- Oranges are a good source of citric acid and citrates, which are believed to help prevent kidney stone formation.
- While not rich in iron, they may also protect against anemia by increasing your iron absorption.
- Eating whole oranges is healthier than drinking orange juice. Fruit juices tend to be high in sugar and not as filling as whole fruit.
Oranges are also so versatile, you can find oranges in sweet and savory recipes. These are a few that we really love.
This brownie recipe from The Salty Marshmallow is pretty amazing, they have that thick fudgy texture but the brightness of oranges.
Deliciously Yum outdid theirselves with this amazing recipe. They are thick moist and no-bake easy!
Delicious and healthy, this easy Overnight Oats recipe from My Fussy Eater has orange, coconut and vanilla is sure to put a spring in your step in the morning!
Epicurious and this salad, it’s so beautiful! I love adding oranges to salads.
Another gorgeous Epicurious Orange Salad because I couldn’t pick between the two, sorry.
Here are the nutrients in about half of a large orange (100 grams) ( Source):
- Calories: 47
- Water: 87%
- Protein: 0.9 grams
- Carbs: 11.8 grams
- Sugar: 9.4 grams
- Fiber: 2.4 grams
- Fat: 0.1 grams
Last Updated on